Sound Devices 833 8CH / 12 Track Mixer-Recorder
Product code : SOU.833
The 833 is the professional’s tool for mobile and small productions. Like the popular Sound Devices 633, the 833 is small, lightweight, and compact. A tactile interface with dedicated faders, trim knobs, and PFL switches makes this mixer-recorder ideal for run-and-gun bag use.
The 833 has 6 mic/line preamplifiers, 8 channels, 12 tracks, 6 analog outputs, and ultra-accurate timecode. Many features have carried over from the premium Sound Devices’ Scorpio, such as Sound Devices’ new preamplifier design, 2 SD card slots, dual L-Mount battery charging and powering, and an internal 256 GB SSD.
Additionally, the 833 shares the same processing architecture and multiple FPGAs as the Scorpio. This enables the 833 to be fully routable, and any physical input can be routed to any track. The 833 features both digital and analog inputs and outputs, and has multiple powering options, so it will fit effortlessly into your existing kit.
A built-in three band EQ may be set to either pre- or post-fade for each channel to tackle any problems directly on-set. Enable Dugan Automixing or MixAssist to automatically attenuate unused microphones in multi-microphone applications. Up to 8 channels can be automixed at a time.
- 6 ultra low-noise, all-new microphone preamplifiers
- 8 channels, 6 buses, 12 tracks
- 6 analog outputs
- Ultra-accurate timecode
- 256 GB internal SSD, 2 SD card slots
- USB-A and C ports for SD-Remote app, linear fader control via MCU, keyboard, and file transfer
- Dugan Automixing for up to 8 channels
- 10 Hz to 80 kHz ± 0.5 dB (192 kHz sample rate, re 1 kHz)
THD + Noise
- 0.005% max (mic in, 1 kHz, 22 Hz–22 kHz BW, trim at 20, fader at 0, -10 dBu in)
Equivalent Input Noise
- -131 dBV (-129 dBu) max (mic in, A-weighting, 76 dB gain, 150 ohm source impedance)
- Highly extensible, full FPGA-based audio processing, 3 FPGAs
- Six-way ARM multiprocessor system
- 64-bit audio processing precision
- 6 total, all fully featured; 3 on full-size XLR, 3 on TA3
- Mic-level inputs: (XLR, TA3): Class-A, discrete differential long-tail pair, 4k ohm input impedance
- Line-level inputs: (XLR, TA3,): active-balanced, 4k ohm input impedance
- 48V phantom: full 10mA to all 6 inputs simultaneously
- AES3 or AES42 available on XLR input 1
- AES42: +10 V, 250 mA available, mode-1, auto-ASRC
- Aux (3.5 mm: unbalanced 2-channel, 4k ohm input impedance
- Com Rtn (TA3, 3.5mm) balanced, 1-channel, 8k ohm input impedance
- External Slate Mic (TA5): balanced, 8k ohm input impedance, menu-selectable 12 V phantom
Maximum Input Level
- Mic: +8 dBu (2.0 Vrms)
- Line: +28 dBu (19.5 Vrms)
- Aux: +18 dBu (6.2 Vrms)
- Com Rtn: +24 dBu (12.3 Vrms)
- External Slate Mic: +12 dBu (3.2 Vrms)
- Adjustable 10 Hz to 320 Hz, 18 dB/oct. 1st stage analog (before preamp), 2nd stage digital.
- Limiters available at all channels, buses, headphones, for all sample rates
- Analog first stage, all subsequent stages digital
- Attack time: 1 ms
- Release time: adjustable, 50 ms to 1000 ms
- Threshold: adjustable, -2 dBFS to -12 dBFS
- Selectable ratio: inf:1, 20:1, 18:1, 16:1, 14:1, 12:1, 10:1
- Channel Adjustable 0-50 ms
- Output Adjustable 0-500 ms
- Trim stage (mic input): 76 dB
- Trim stage (line input): 50 dB
- Fader stage: 16 dB
- Bus stage: 16 dB
- Headphone stage: 20 dB
- Mic-to-Line: 108 dB
- Mic-to-Headphone: 112 dB
- TA5 (along with mic input pins) for single connection to headset + mic High output, 4 ohm output impedance, 400 mW + 400 mW at each connector, all individually driven Compatible with headphones of any impedance
- XLR (L, R) active-balanced, 250/3.2k/120 ohms (mic/-10/line)
- TA3 (X1/X2) active-balanced, 250/3.2k/120 ohms (mic/-10/line)
- 3.5mm (X3/X4): unbalanced, stereo, 1.8k ohms
Maximum Output Level (all into 10k load)
- Line: +20 dBu (7.8 Vrms)
- “-10”: +6 dBu (1.5 Vrms)
- Mic: -20 dBu (0.078 Vrms)
- X3/X4 Out: +6 dBu (1.5 Vrms)
- Headphone outputs (¼”, TA-5): +14 dBu (4.0 Vrms)
- AES3 transformer-balanced, in pairs; 1-2 (XLR-L), 3-4 (XLR-R), 110 ohm, 2 V p-p, AES and S/PDIF compatible
- ¼”, 3.5 mm
- TA5 (along with mic input pins) for single connection to headset + mic
- High output, 4 ohm output impedance, 400 mW + 400 mW at each connector, all individually driven
- Compatible with headphones of any impedance
- A/D converters |32-bit, 120 dB, A-weighted dynamic range typical
- A/D converters |Sampling rates 44.1 kHz, 47.952 kHz, 48 kHz, 48.048 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz
- Internal 256 GB SSD; two removable SD Cards, 10% over-provisioned for optimum performance
- Simultaneous recording to internal SSD and the two SD cards
- exFAT formatting
- 12 tracks (8 iso channels, 4 buses)
- Broadcast WAV monophonic and polyphonic file format
- 64-bit WAV (RF64) monophonic and polyphonic; support for files > 4 G
- Dugan Automixer up to 8 channels on Left and Right Mix bus
- USB-C (USB 3.1 type 1) for file transfer of internal SSD, both SD Cards.
- USB-A host for keyboard, external controller, external USB hubs supported for connecting multiple devices.
Timecode and Sync
- Modes Supported: Off, Rec Run, Free Run, 24h Run, External, including External Auto-Record and Continuous modes.
- Frame Rates: 23.98*, 24, 25, 29.97 DF, 29.97 ND, 30 DF, 30 ND
- Sample/Timecode Accuracy: 0.1 ppm (0.25 frames per 24 hours)
- Timecode Input: 20k ohm impedance, 0.3 V - 3.0 V p-p (–17 dBu - +3 dBu)
- Timecode Output: 75 ohm impedance, 5 V p-p (+12 dBu)
- Word Clock Input: 10k/75 ohm selectable impedance, 1-5 V p-p input sensitivity
- Word Clock Output: 75 ohm impedance, 5 V p-p output, at SR
- USB MIDI MCU Control - supported 3rd party fader controllers
- SD-Remote Android app
- USB Keyboard
- External Timecode Record Trigger
- 320x240, Transflective, excellent sunlight visibility
- Larger touchscreen display available via USB-connected SD-Remote app
- External: 10-18 V input on locking TA4 connector, pin-4 = (+), pin-1 = (-)
- Dual rear-mount Sony-style L-mount batteries with chargers
- Idle Current Draw: 875 mA @ 12 V (10.5 W)
- Intelligent power-down of unused mic preamps and other internal circuits
- Operating: -20° C to 60° C, 0 to 90% relative humidity (non-condensing)
- Storage: -40° C to 85° C
Dimensions (H x W x D)
- 5.1 cm x 22 cm x 17 cm;
- (2.0 in. x 8.7 in. x 6. in)
- 2.75 lbs (unpackaged, without batteries)
- 1.25 kg (unpackaged, without batteries)
If you wish to purchase in store, to avoid disappointment, please confirm the availability of the product at your local John Barry prior to visiting.
Alternatively, orders placed online by 2pm AEST are typically dispatched same day, if ordered online.
If your product is on backorder, please contact us for an ETA.
Shipping is done via Startrack Express or Australia Post eParcel service and tracking advice will be provided once shipped.
For more information, please visit our Shipping Policy.
Should you have any questions regarding our equipment warranty conditions, please contact us
John Barry reserves the right under Australian Consumer Law to refuse a request for an exchange or refund on all final sale items, if you have misused/mishandled the product, or if you have simply changed your mind. Please visit our Refunds & Returns policy page for further information.