SOUND DEVICES 4XLR / TRS COMBO INPUT 8 TRACK RECORDER
Product code : SOU.MIXPRE-6M
The MixPre-6M is a 2-in-1 device that gives musicians a studio-grade multitrack recorder and high-performance USB audio interface to help capture each moment of inspiration. Combining the ease of dedicated hardware recording with the essence of computer-based music production software, the MixPre-6M is setting a new standard for what’s possible from an audio recorder—igniting musical creativity anytime and anywhere.
Track Laying • Overdub • Punch In/Out • Reverb & Vocal Air • Metronome • Bounce • Render (Import & Export)
Portable DAWless Studio
The MixPre-6M’s musician-focused features simplify typical computer-based music creation by removing barriers to capture ideas and songs. The MixPre allows you to simultaneously record, playback, mix, monitor, layer, and overdub up to 12 tracks—all without a DAW! And if you need more, the bounce feature helps free up tracks.
The MixPre-6M features a built-in metronome to help keep your performance in time, while premium-quality, silky-smooth reverb and vocal air effects add depth to your recordings, and can also inspire a great performance. The vocal air effect is an easily dialed-in combination of EQ and compression that results in a breathy intimacy to vocals, popular today with singer/songwriters.
When you record music you will also appreciate the convenience of features such as punch in and out, and ability to locate to cue points.
Exceptional Audio Quality
Premium USB Audio Interface
Live Performance Companion
Versatile I/O Routing
Musician-Inspired User Experience
Anytime, Anywhere Powering
When on tour or at a gig, you need a recorder that’s portable and convenient to power, which is why the MixPre-6M has multiple powering options. It can be powered from AA batteries in a convenient detachable sled of eight cells, or an optional sled that offers powering from up to two hot-swappable Sony L-Mount Li-Ion batteries.
Additionally, the entire recorder can also be powered from a laptop’s USB-C or USB-A connectors offering convenient connection and powering with just one cable. For applications where AC is available, Sound Devices offers an AC wall adapter as well.
Metering and Monitoring
The MixPre-6M incorporates a mixer that offers easy-to-read ring LEDs and LCD metering with limiter activity for multitrack, mix, and USB return metering.
The MixPre also includes a powerful and clean custom-designed headphone amplifier enabling you to hear your recordings in their full glory, and efficiently monitor with a wide range of headphone impedances.
*Special discounted price only available while current stock lasts - limited stock available
MX-4AA Battery Sled (batteries not included)
MX-PSU AC Adapter
10Hz to 80kHz +/- 0.5dB re 1kHz @ 192kHz sample rate
THD + Noise
0.005% max (@1kHz, 22-22kHz BW, gain=20dB, -10dBu in)
32 bit precision; 120dB dynamic range min (A-weighted, gain=10dB, fader=0dB)
Equivalent Input Noise
-130dBV (-128dBu) max (A-weighting, gain=76dB, 150 ohm source impedance)
- · Mic: XLR active-balanced; 4k input Z
- · Line: XLR active-balanced; 4k input Z
- · Aux/Mic in: 3.5mm TRS, 2-channel unbalanced; 100k input Z
- · Line: ¼-inch TRS active-balanced; 4k input Z
- · USB Audio: 4 channels
- · All inputs fully RF-filtered and overload protected.
- · Mic input: +6dB to +76dB
- · Line input: -20dB to +30dB
- · Fader: -inf to +20dB
- · Headphone: -inf to +20dB
- · Total, Mic-to-recording (max): +96dB
- · Aux In (Mic): Gain = +10dB to +40dB
- · Aux In (Line): Gain = -10dB to +20dB
- · Total Aux Gain including Fader (Mic-to-recording): +60dB
Maximum Input Level
- · Mic XLR: +14dBu (limiters on or off)
- · Line XLR/¼-inch: +28dBu (limiters on or off)
- · Aux In (Mic): -10dBu
- · Aux In (Line): +10dBu
Low Cut Filters
40Hz to 160Hz (adjustable), 18 dB/oct. First stage analog, subsequent stages digital.
- · Mic XLRs: 48V via 6.8k resistors, 10mA each
- · Mic 3.5mm: 3V @ 3k source Z
Limiter at all gain stages, range > 40dB. First stage analog, subsequent stages digital.
DAC feeding Stereo Out, Headphone Out
32 bit precision; 115dB dynamic range (A-weighted)
3.5mm TRS stereo unbalanced, 500 ohm output Z, +7.8dBu max output level
3.5mm TRS stereo unbalanced, for use with any impedance headphones
- · Audio Interface (USB-C): 8-in/4-out; 44.1 to 96 kHz; 16/24-bit; Class-compliant USB 2.0 high speed or ASIO® (supplied)
- · Mass Storage (USB-C): USB 2.0 high speed
- · Keyboard (USB-A): Text entry and control
Maximum Record Tracks
- · 44.1 kHz
- · 48 kHz
- · 96 kHz
- · Type: SD, SDXC, SDHC Card
- · Max Storage Size: 512 GB (SDXC)
- · Card format: FAT32 (32GB or less) or exFAT (>32GB)
- · Monophonic WAV
- · AAC (render)
- · Stereo WAV (render)
- · Reverb Types: Plate, Room, Hall (48 kHz max sampling rate)
- · Vocal Air (0-100%)
320x256; 1.6-inch, color, sunlight-viewable IPS LCD
- · AA Batteries: 4x AA sled (included); 8x AA sled (optional accessory). NiMH recommended
- · From computer: Bus-powered via USB-C port; use MX-USBY cable (optional accessory), connects one USB-C to two USB-A ports
- · AC Adapter: MX-PSU (included) Power supply wall adapter w/ USB-C connector; 15W; has 4 adapter plugs for US, UK, AU & Europe
- · L-Mount: Optional sled for 2x (hot-swappable) Sony L-type Li-ion batteries
- · Operating: -20°C to 60°C, 0 to 90% relative humidity; (non-condensing)
- · Storage: -40°C to 85°C
Dimensions and Weight
- · Dimensions: 36mm x 166 mm x 118 mm (H x W x D); 1.40” x 6.53” x 4.65”
- · Weight: .56 kg; 19.9 oz. (unpackaged, without batteries)
All specifications at 48kHz sample rate unless otherwise noted.
Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
If you wish to purchase in store, to avoid disappointment, please confirm the availability of the product at your local John Barry prior to visiting.
Alternatively, orders placed online by 2pm AEST are typically dispatched same day, if ordered online.
If your product is on backorder, please contact us for an ETA.
Shipping is done via Startrack Express or Australia Post eParcel service and tracking advice will be provided once shipped.
For more information, please visit our Shipping Policy.
Should you have any questions regarding our equipment warranty conditions, please contact us
John Barry reserves the right under Australian Consumer Law to refuse a request for an exchange or refund on all final sale items, if you have misused/mishandled the product, or if you have simply changed your mind. Please visit our Refunds & Returns policy page for further information.