SOUND DEVICES 688 12 INPUT MIXER 16 TRACK INTEGRATED RECORDER WITH TIME CODE
Product code : SOU.688
UPC code :859108005178
Sound Devices 688 12 Input Mixer 16 Track Integrated Recorder With Time Code12-Input Field Production Mixer with 16-Track Recorder and MixAssist™
The 688 is a production sound engineer’s dream come true - a portable audio powerhouse that incorporates multi-channel mixer, auto-mixer, recorder plus optional integrated powering and wireless system. By consolidating these functions, cabling requirements are significantly decreased, de-cluttering the sound mixer’s bag, increasing reliability and improving ease
The 688 takes the finest aspects of the acclaimed 633, 664, and 788T and creatively combines them with new technology into an unrivalled production audio tool.
Inputs and Outputs
The 688 has six high-bandwidth mic/line inputs on XLR connectors, each complete with phantom power, high-pass filter, analog input limiter and variable pan. Six additional line-level inputs on TA3 connectors offer flexibility for more complex productions.
All inputs are assignable, pre- or post-fade to its eight output buses, left/right plus Aux 1-6. The 688 can send its main left/right mix to three cameras simultaneously via transformer-balanced XLR and Hirose outputs.
The 688’s powerful digital processing engine delivers 12-channel auto-mixing capability using the most sophisticated algorithm on the market today. MixAssist automatically attenuates the level of inputs that are not active and helps maintain consistent background sound levels regardless of the number of open microphones. Comb filtering and phasing artifacts are also reduced when multiple mics pick up the same sound source by intelligently attenuating redundant mics.
The 688 offers 16-track, polyphonic or monophonic broadcast WAV file recording to SD and CompactFlash cards. All common sampling rates are supported, including 192 kHz on up to six tracks. The memory cards can be set independently, recording either identical material for real-time backup, or combinations of WAV and MP3 files.
The 688 incorporates exclusive PowerSafe circuitry with smart sensing of available power sources, front panel warning indication of power loss, and an integrated 10-second power reserve that will, in the event of an inadvertent power loss, allow the 688 to safely stop recording, properly end all file operations, and then automatically shut down.
Power on and start recording in less than two seconds. You never have to wait on sound.
Timecode and Metadata
The 688 features a world renowned Ambient™ timecode generator and reader supporting all common rates and modes. A helpful timecode compare utility shows the difference between internal and external timecode. The 688 also generates sound reports and supports extensive metadata, via the front panel or attached USB keyboard.
• 12 analog inputs: Six mic/line preamps plus six line inputs all with front-panel faders & PFLs
• 16-track recording to SD & CompactFlash cards; Timecode-stamped WAV & MP3 files
• MixAssist 12-input auto-mixer
• Optional Accessories: SL-6 power distribution & 6-ch SuperSlot™ wireless receiver system; CL-6 input controller with LED metering & transport controls
• Eight output buses: L/R mix plus Aux 1-6; transformer-balanced XLR & Hirose outs for freedom from ground loops
• Two AES42/AES3 inputs, eight AES3 outputs
• Direct menu control of SuperSlot-compatible wireless (with SL-6)
• PowerSafe protects files from power loss
• 2-second power on-to-recording
• Flexible digital mixing and routing
• Supports all sample rates up to 192kHz
• Adjustable input & output delay
• Three camera returns & dedicated COM return
• Internal & external slate mic inputs
• Ambient TC generator and reader and internal TC backup battery
• Easy to navigate interface, 1000-nit LCD visible in all light conditions, configurable metering
• USB Keyboard for metadata entry
• User-configurable headphone presets
• Light-weight, durable carbon-fiber chassis
• Powered by AA-battery (x5), external DC or NP1 via SL-6
For a virtually cable free bag, attach this optional power distribution and six channel wireless receiver system. Its three slots simplify interconnection between the 688 and slot-in receivers. With the SL-6, the 688 acquires digital audio plus fully integrated control of SuperSlot compatible receivers. The SL-6 also provides USB charging port, Two 12 V isolated outputs, and two non-isolated direct battery outputs for powering additional devices. *SL-6 Shipping Summer 2015
This optional input controller attaches to the bottom of the 688 and adds six full-sized tactile fader control of channels 7-12, sunlight-viewable LED metering and big, back-lit record and stop controls. When the CL-6 is attached to a 688, the 688’s mini-faders, originally assigned as faders for 7-12, switch to trim controls.
Manufactured by CamRade for Sound Devices, this production case was designed for use with the 688 or 664 Field Production Mixer, as well as the CL-6 or the SL-6. The case accommodates NP1-type battery and includes doors to access word clock.
New 688 Release Candidate Firmware v2.0 is now available for download.
- Phase inversion across all twelve channels.
- 6dB more trim gain on inputs 7-12 selectable in menu.
- Extended Headphone Level- 12dB more available gain selectable in menu.
- New User bit options.
- Support of the SL-6 Wireless Integration and Powering System. (not yet active)
If you wish to purchase in store, to avoid disappointment, please confirm the availability of the product at your local John Barry prior to visiting.
Alternatively, orders placed online by 2pm AEST are typically dispatched same day, if ordered online.
If your product is on backorder, please contact us for an ETA.
Shipping is done via Startrack Express or Australia Post eParcel service and tracking advice will be provided once shipped.
For more information, please visit our Shipping Policy.
Should you have any questions regarding our equipment warranty conditions, please contact us
John Barry reserves the right under Australian Consumer Law to refuse a request for an exchange or refund on all final sale items, if you have misused/mishandled the product, or if you have simply changed your mind. Please visit our Refunds & Returns policy page for further information.